Friday, September 2, 2011

IT Management Review, Ending and Grade

I took this course in the Fall of 2010:


Saby Mitra was the professor who taught the IT Management Course. Let me say firstly that I understand IT is a difficult course to teach as the topics are not just moving targets, but are constantly evolving at such a rate that it seems like an interesting choice to teach the material. I would have focused less on the details of IT, like what 3G is and how it works, but more on the business application of IT as a field. This was a detail of IT class, firstly, not my forte. This will skew my review, as it is my review.



There were quizzes administrated almost every class, and on days where there weren’t quizzes an attendance sheet was passed around. A couple of the lowest grades were dropped and then 20% of the final grade was determined through this methodology. Good news, this was the first semester where he didn’t demand class participation; I have stated before that demanding class participation is not my favorite. There were two case write ups which were to be completed in groups of 4-5 students. He wanted the cases to be neatly organized with headings. I get that, as it makes it easier to follow and read. In a class like this at a program like Georgia Tech there are many people with an IT background, these resources were pretty evenly spread over the groups to essentially give groups a couple people who already had a grasp on the material. There were a couple of Exams and they were related to the cases and readings assigned.



I had very little interest in the topic and at times a difficult time following the discussions when they extended to much into the specs and details. This was the first course at Georgia Tech that I thought was placed in the program only because of the Tech name. I truly feel like Saby did a great job of teaching the material in the course and understanding that some people have a hard time or no interest in the specifics of a technology field that is fluid and evolving daily. I got a B in the course. I will give Professor Mitra and the course as a whole the same grade. I will also say that if one tries hard and shows the effort, it would be hard pressed for someone to get less than this grade. In fact, from my experience, only those with a heavy IT background could get a letter grade above this established B range. Ultimately, this is a necessary class for Georgia Tech and worthwhile to take. I learned as much from my peers in the class as I did during the lectures. Plus side, it was only two credits.


No comments:

Post a Comment