Monday, November 2, 2009

Gator Fooball Weekend Recap

This was the first time in five years that I didn’t make the trip to Jacksonville for the Florida game. It is hard to justify the trip due to saving money for school that starts in January. I must say, watching on TV is a much different experience than being at the game. Here are a couple observations.

1. Verne Lundquist and Gary Daniels are perhaps the absolute worst play-by-play announcers in the history of College football. They make listening to Lou Holtz bearable. I find myself making statement at minimum five minutes before they notice the same observations. I would prefer CBS find a way to just have actual crowd noise instead of announcers if this is the best they come up with.

2. Georgia is just not very good at Football. The more I watch the Bulldogs play the more I realize that Mark Richt is not the man he pretends to be. He coaches his players to break the rules (the stomp in 07); all the while playing coy about the intentions. The bad blood between these two teams is contrived at this point, as the results on the field haven’t warranted the hatred.

3. Richt stinks of Zook. He has recruited top-notch talent year over year and continues to fail epically on the big stage. With the talent he has accumulated he should be competing for a national championship year over year. I am a pro SEC guy, I route on ALL of the SEC teams in out of conference play, and I can say that it is hard to watch UGA play any talented teams. But as long as Richt continues to salvage 9 and 10 win seasons it will be difficult to let him go. Thank God he does continue to beat inferior opponents and pull these above average (but not great seasons), a perfect fit for the Bulldogs style is Charlie Strong, and that would make me throw up in my mouth some.

4.
Tebow is the heart beat of this Gators team. If Brantley is as good as the Gator Nation is told he is, I think he would have started against LSU. I do, believe though that the future is bright for Gator football (even in the post Tebow era).

5. It was nice to see Steve Addazio open the play book past page two. The offense looked good in the first quarter. After taking the 14-0 lead though, I think Urban requested that he shut the offense down. Which is fine for me, I was just pleased to know we still have explosiveness when needed.

Surprisingly I didn’t hate watching the game at home, it was ultimately pretty relaxing. Lindsay’s brother goes to South Carolina, so we will be making that trip in two weeks, and the Gators clinched a trip to Atlanta, so I will be at that game for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment