Friday, October 2, 2009

Essay 3 - Georgia Tech Optional Essay

(Optional) The admissions Committee believes that the required essays address issues that are important in learning about you and in understanding your candidacy for the MBA program. However, you may provide us with any information pertinent to your admission that has not been covered in the rest of the application. Feel free to discuss any unique aspects of your candidacy or any perceived weakness.

I find myself staring forward for a split second, focusing on form, trying not to think about the weight. Spotters on both sides of the barbell, ready to intervene if needed. After a quick meditation, using my thumbs I grip the barbell, a familiar routine. As I stare at the ceiling I think, "A big day for me." I count aloud, letting the spotters know when to lift. Three, two...ONE.

There I was with 500 pounds held only by my outstretched arms. The bar bends due to the stress of the weight.

I entered college with little insight about my future; the only certainty I believed was that I was going to be an engineer. Yet, I have always struggled with the sciences. I believed myself capable of working through these limitations, striving one day to be passionate about my career. Knowing the ideals of business to be useful, I adopted it as a minor.

With a slow controlled motion, I slowly start lowering the barbell.

The start of my sophomore year, I hit a roadblock: chemistry. My grades suffered and I dreaded attending class. My minor, however, helped me realized how intuitive business classes were for me. After a couple mediocre grades, I changed my major to business. My grades returned to a respectable level.

As the barbell gently touched my chest, the real struggles begin.

Anyone can hold heavy weight at bay for a short period of time, once it's resting on your chest you have to push it away. So much goes through your mind, the physiology of the human body, the chemistry of the muscle pump, the biology of the way the muscle reacts and the way it repairs after.

I began studying bodybuilding. For the first time in my life, I had a passion. I was good at it; I could explain it to everyone whether they wanted to hear it or not. I began questioning my business path. I saw my challenges in the sciences like I saw the weight I was lifting, seemingly impossible, yet with focus achievable.

A couple inches above my chest is my plateau; I pushed right through, this repetition was different.

I could take the science courses needed to get into chiropractic school, complete my business degree and work in healthcare. After a year more of sciences, I realized I enjoy lifting weights and training, however I still dreaded the classes; finally, my epiphany.

My arms locked out and the spotters took the barbell back to the rack.

As I sat on the bench, I realized, I would make my mark in business. Ever since, I have enjoyed the world of business and continued my passion for weight lifting. My GMAT score of 610 combined with my experiences in Sales, Finance and Management have helped to prepare me for the next challenge; repetition number two, a MBA from Georgia Technical Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment